Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)
The Clearlake Police Department (CPD) has a Zero-Tolerance policy against any form of sexual abuse or sexual harassment of inmates detained in its custody. CPD is committed to enforcing the standards set forth by the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA).
It is our policy to promptly, thoroughly and objectively investigate and document all reports of the following acts
- Harassment of an inmate or retaliation of an inmate for reporting or cooperating in an investigation of sexual abuse or harassment.
- Sexual abuse or harassment of one inmate by another inmate
- Sexual misconduct by an employee, contractor or volunteer
- Staff neglect or violation of responsibilities that may have contributed to sexual abuse or sexual harassment
When appropriate, investigated reports of sexual abuse shall be referred to the District Attorney’s office for prosecution.
How to Report an Incident
Clearlake Police Department offers multiple ways to report sexual abuse and sexual harassment of a detainee or prisoner. Reports can be made anonymously.
- Call Police Dispatch at (707) 994-8251.
- Report to any staff, volunteer, contractor, or medical or mental health staff.
- Report to the Operations Commander.
- Tell a family member, friend, legal counsel, or anyone else outside the facility. They can report on your behalf by calling (707) 994-8251.
You also can submit a report on someone’s behalf, or someone at the facility can report for you using the ways listed here.
The protocol describing the responsibilities of the Department any any other investigating agencies responsible for conducting sexual abuse or sexual harassment investigations is contained in the Prison Rape Elimination policy of the Department’s Policy Manual.